Wednesday, July 02, 2008

What a Zoo-per Day!

We had such a busy June that July sort of snuck up on us, but I'm sure glad it's here. I've been working nearly full time for the past month or so, but I got all of my working hours out of the way early this week. It seemed strange for the three of us to be home together all afternoon, but we took full advantage of the family time we've been missing out on and headed to the zoo.

Highlights of the afternoon were a boat ride and getting to see a bird snatch a catfish out of the pond in a very Planet Earth-like moment. I usually don't pay much attention to the pond (ducks, ducks...more ducks...goose?), but we stopped to see the Great Blue Heron that was hanging out there today. Just as we were about to move on, the bird plunged its head underwater and came up with a good-sized catfish.



The bird then proceeded to beat the snot out of the fish (Keith's description). At least that's our best guess at what was happening. The poor fish was flown to land, set down, picked up, placed in the water, picked up, placed in the water, picked up (you get the idea). Several minutes later, the bird opened its beak and gulped the catfish down whole. I can't really blame the bird for its violent behavior...I suppose if I were going to swallow something bigger than my own head I would want to make sure it wasn't going to wiggle its way down my throat, too.

We never tire of the zoo...it's a new adventure each time!

1 comment:

Niki said...

I love David in that canoe picture!!!