Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Taking this blogging thing seriously

I've been finding small chunks of time to scrapbook here and there in the past few weeks, and I'm proud to say that I'm almost up to date with David's books (yes, he has three so far; yes, I know that's ridiculous; yes, I know I'll be in trouble when kid #2 comes along). My only regret is that I didn't keep better notes on all of David's milestones, big and small. He has grown and learned so much in his first year, and I know I won't be able to capture all of that in his albums. So I'm going to do my best to blog more often as a way to keep up with all that he's doing (Goal #1).

A few months ago, I set up a twitter account to record some of the bits and pieces that make up David's day. I haven't been too consistent with that either, but I think it's a great tool and would love to make better use of it (Goal #2). Basically, it's like a blog for very short blurbs of information. The idea is that you post what you're doing at any given moment during the day. It won't work quite that way for me because I don't always have ready access to a computer. Instead, I'll try to post things as often as I can. It will be a great way to document all the small things that David learns and does that don't quite warrant an entire blog post. You can create your own twitter account and "follow" me, if you like, or just check the updates in the right-hand column of this blog.

On the other hand, our general family scrapbooks are sadly behind. I have just a couple pages to finish in the 2006 book, but haven't bothered with it because scrapbooking a baby is much more fun. I also had fun a few nights ago beginning our 2007 book. I've decided to go digital (or at least give it a try) for these "year in the life of Goldfi" albums, and I created this first page.

I had a major realization though, that I could save myself a lot of time and headache if I actually kept up with this blog. If I posted about each noteworthy event throughout the year, it would be so easy to go back and pull the photos and even journaling from each post to put together my scrapbook. So Goal #3 (which is very similar to Goal #1) is to blog really well this year. This also means that I'm going to retroactively blog some events that are weeks and months old. You might notice some random posts popping up in the archives of the blog (if you even pay attention to that sort of thing), and now you'll know why.

So wish me luck...to me, preserving memories is almost as important as making them, and I'm hoping these goals will help me to do a much better job of that.

No comments: